Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Vintage Kitchen Table Refinished- An Old Friend Comes Home

Stripping Supplies: old brush, stripper, plastic wrap and a scrapper (not shown)
I covered the table with Citristrip and then added plastic wrap to help keep the stripper moist. The plastic wrap seems to speed the stripping process along.  I tested a spot after 30 minutes to see if the table was ready to scrap.
The old stain and spar varnish peeled off very well. This table did require two applications of stripper to completely remove the old finish. I wiped it down with mineral spirit and fine steel wool after this process.
I added wood filler to the gaps on the top. Follow the directions on the filler for drying time.
I gently sanded the top with a palm sander and 220 grit sand paper. I didn't want to remove the imperfections; I like the character they provide.  I had planned to paint the base and band of this table black, but after I stripped it I decided to strip the band under the table and try to match the pedestal.  I added stains to an old stake to have some idea of the color of each stain. This table is about 95 years old. It is the kitchen table that we used when I was a child and it has been in storage for 20 years. My parents refinished it when they bought it. In storage, the top and band aged differently from the bottom.  The cool thing about this table is the pedestal slides, on rails, to stay centered as leaves are added to it. 
First I added Minwax Golden Oak, then I added a mix of Golden Oak and Early American. The table was still too light, so I added Dark Walnut. I still need another coat of Dark Walnut. I had no idea how difficult it would be to match this older stain! The oak pedestal has a lot of brown in it.

 One mistake I made was not darkening the stain earlier in the process of staining the table. It did reach a saturation point on the wood. The top and band are lighter than I wanted, but I'm okay them. These are also the original kitchen chairs that I painted black.

I'm so happy to have this table in our home! I have so many fond memories of this table from my childhood!
Thank you for stopping by today!

Linking to:
A Stroll Through Life
Savvy Southern Style

15 comments:

Charm Bracelet Diva {at Home} said...

How great that you have this table and can now use it every day! I love the style. Even though it's an antique it looks quite similar to many contemporary PB, Ballard and Restoration Hardware tables that cost a fortune. I applaud you for keeping it like the original. I know I would have been tempted to paint it rather than stain it. My husband recently stained an unfinished door and it took way more coats of stain to finish the job than he thought it would, just like you! You have much more patience than I do! It's beautiful, really. xoKathleen

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Oh Betsy, how beautiful!! I always suspected that you were a stripper :)
My granny had an old table that looks almost identical to this, but hers was green. Every meal that was eaten on in her home was eaten on that table, and supposably it is coming to me. Great job on your "stripping".

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh it is beautiful. Such a great job refinishing it. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that is ongoing. http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2014/04/211th-inspire-me-tuesday.html Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It looks great, Betsy! How nice to have something like this in your home ~ great memories, I'm sure.

Dee Lapin said...

The table looks beautiful Betsy. To think you used to sit at it as a child is so sweet.

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you so much! I put stripping this off way too long. I was so surprised that it was so easy to strip. I do feel like an old friend is home again. Now, if I could get all of you together at it, we would have so much fun! Many thanks for stopping by!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

The table is beautiful, Betsy. You did a great job matching the stain color. Love those chairs, too. It's so nice that you have sweet memories to go along with a lovely dining room set.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Betsy...the table is gorgeous...you did a remarkable job...and looks great in the room...oh how wonderful that you have such great memories of the table...so nice to be able to sit at the table and reminisce.

Angela Ryder said...

You did a beautiful job Betsy! I have the kitchen table I used to sit at with a high chair in my home so I can relate to your memories and the joy of having such a precious piece!~~Angela

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you! You are all so thoughtful to stop by! The table has been a welcome addition after so many years! Thanks for your kind comments!

Cynthia said...

Betsy I am so sorry but I am very behind with my emails. This table came out gorgeous, love the color. I really like t he runner you used on the table top!!

Cynthia

designchic said...

What a transformation, Betsy. It looks gorgeous!!

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you for your kindness in stopping by today! I appreciate your thoughtful comments!

Dee Lapin said...

I thought I might see your garden tour posted. I hope you had a wonderful Easter Betsy.

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you, Dee!You're so kind to stop by! Easter was wonderful! I hope your's was too!