Friday, March 21, 2014

Laundry Room Artwork & Freezer Paper Transfers

 Recently, I updated our laundry room here

I had these frames that held fern prints. I had already painted them black some time ago. I wanted some laundry room themed items in them now. I choose the top graphic from Dorothy Sue and Millie B. and the lower graphic from The Graphic's Fairy

I decided to transfer the graphics to fabric; I chose heavy drop cloth fabric. Additional supplies will be, freezer Paper, scissors and an ink jet printer with colored ink.

 I cut the fabric and Freezer paper the same size as a sheet of printer paper- 8.5"X11". Iron (no steam) the freezer paper, shiny side down, to the fabric. This provides the transfer medium and the stiffness to feed this through your printer.

 I took pictures of  this process when I was making a Halloween project (graphic from The Graphic's Fairy).
This is my computer screen and the settings I chose for my 8"X10" frame. I used 8'X10" frames for the laundry room too.  Oops, disregard the mouse arrow! I chose full page photo and unchecked the "fit picture to frame" box. Guide the paper/fabric through your printer with your hand, if needed. 

 This graphic printed well.

 Trim your piece to fit your frame. I outlined this piece with a Sharpie pen. Peel the freezer paper off of the fabric and you have instant artwork. Burlap works well too. This process can be used to make banners, framed artwork, pillows, etc. I have also used an iron on transfer paper or woodworker's tool to transfer a graphic to fabric; this is just another fun way to transfer a graphic.
Thanks for stopping by today!


12 comments:

Dana Bishop said...

You make all of these artful projects look so professional and easy. Some of us are not as skilled :) the framed graphics are perfect touches. I have freeze paper and will give your tutorial a try.

Hugs!

Olga Salimova said...

Great! Sounds easy!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I so love those prints...thanks for showing us how you achieved those beautiful prints!!...Have a great weekend Betsy!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love the images you used, Betsy! Especially the top one. : )

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

Hmmm... seems simple enough. Might have to give it a try.

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you! I appreciate your comments! This is such an easy transfer method and doesn't require reversing a graphic. Thanks for your time today!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

The new graphics prints look wonderful, Betsy. Fabric gives them so much more texture than simply printing on paper. Love them!

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you, Sheila! Your Doodle Magic would have been perfect for these too!

BerryMorins Bits & Tips said...

Wow! I totally love your redo of your laundry room.

Great job.

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you! You're so thoughtful to stop by! I hope all is well with you! Have a great Sunday!

Cynthia said...

Sorry I am a bit behind, I love these prints and I never tried this way to transfer. I may have to gives this a whirl. I only used the Mod Podge technique. Thanks for the tutorial.

Cynthia

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you, Cynthia! This is so easy and the fabric gives the artwork some body! Thanks for stopping by!