Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Changes to the Laundry Room


I have some rooms that are long over due on updating; the laundry room is one of them.  I stenciled these birdhouses on the walls in 2000. Where did the time go? Do you ever feel that way?

The laundry room is on the front of the house. It's open to the kitchen all the time. Wow, it's looking tired and dated! Yikes, country heart shelving!

I added the black shelving and lower half of a hutch I painted here. I love the hutch half, but not here. It's time to paint this room!

The room required two coats of stain blocker to cover the stencils.

 I painted this room the same color as the kitchen, Summer Resort, by Sherwin Williams.

 A friend built the shelf for me. I love it! I had him hang it higher,so clothing wouldn't hang in the laundry sink. Just look at the details he added; iron work on the handmade korbels.

 I painted this tray with the help of a graphic from The Graphic's Fairy.

I also painted this sign.

Now, I like the black shelving. I did purchase this table from The Bramble Company. It's smaller than the hutch half and a better fit!

I took down the birdhouses and added my Grandmother's everyday china. It's a Noritake pattern called The Ceylon, from 1900.  It has a rim of black with pink flowers!  

 A tiny flower holder -

I painted made this chalkboard from a display piece here. Originally, I added a French graphic, but later changed it to this bird, from The Graphic's Fairy.

A new fixture and this room is finished!
I'm thrilled to have the pink walls gone!
Thanks for stopping by!

Linking to:
Savvy Southern Style
From My Front Porch To Yours

20 comments:

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

You have been one busy lady, Betsy. Your laundry room looks wonderful. I love all your decorative details. I liked the birdhouse stencils, too, though. :)

Dana Bishop said...

Betsy, your laundry room is gorgeous. There are not too many people that are capable of creating such a stunning utility room! All of your touches are well planned and tasteful; not cluttered, not cutesy. I think you should come up here and reinvent my laundry space. I'm sure it's such a pleasure to be in the room; even if laundry isn't your favorite pastime.
Fantastic makeover!

Charm Bracelet Diva {at Home} said...

What a great makeover! Love the befores, bird stencils and all! When we first got married in 1995 I guess you could say my decorating tastes were "country." In my defense, I grew up in a part of Pennsylvania that was steeped in country influences! I'd say you did a fabulous job taking this laundry room from drab to fab! I can't wait to find my new laundry room so I can start planning the makeover lol! xo Kathleen

NanaDiana said...

Hey! You did MY next project before I did it! lol My laundry room has not been touched since I painted it when we moved in. I really need to "get 'er done". AND we have the same washer/ dryer....they just keep running and running and running! xo Diana

Tamyra Positively Southern said...

Betsy, I can't pick just one thing I love about your laundry room make-over! Everything is fantastic! The shelf with the bar to hang the clothes just might be my fav but then I think about your Grand's china in the room and I swoon! GREAT job!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Oh Betsy, my laundry room had a birdhouse theme like yours many years ago...I love the "new look" ... looks like you have been a busy lady...the room looks beautiful and I love how you added your Grandmother's chine...it must put a smile on your face when you are doing laundry....Also love the Bramble table...I am looking forward to seeing the Bramble exhibit at High Point this year...last year's exhibit was amazing!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great update, Betsy! It looks wonderful and looks like it flows better with the rest of your home. I love the paint color and the addition of your painted accessories.

Angela Ryder said...

Wow, what a beautiful transformation! Love the paint color with the black accessories!! Very nice!!~~Angela

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

Luvly!! WE are in the process of redoing my laundry room. 1/2 way done... yeah! Thanks for the inspiration to push it through. The china is a wonderful addition. I never would have thought. Might have to borrow that idea.
Happy mid week.
Gee

Cynthia said...

WOW Betsy, this is stunning. I LOVE all the accessories and the color you used. I remember those country days. My mom had that style so I followed along when I first got married. I realized years later that was not my style at all. That's is when I realized I loved French Country. When your 23 you have no clue what your style is, LOL.

Cynthia

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you for your kind comments! I let this room go far too long! Ya'll are the best at making my day! Many thanks!

Kelly said...

What a beautiful update!

Kelly from www.lifeonbirchst.com

Mrs. Stewart said...

It was always happy, but now it's so chic! I would be a lot happier folding laundry in a pretty place like that. :)

Anne Boykin said...

Hi Betsy, Great job! Love the new look.

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Many thanks! You're so thoughtful to stop by today! I'm off to visit your blogs too.

mommyroo said...

I love that shelf you have in your laundry room...it would be perfect for my front hall that is in the process of being repainted...going to see if we can make one of our own...thank you for the great idea! :)

Dee Lapin said...

I love every inch of your beautiful laundry room Betsy! One day I would love a laundry room like yours.
Mine is in an unfinished 100 year old basement.

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you for your thoughtful comments! I'm thrilled to see the pink walls gone! I know I waited far too long on covering the stencils! You are so kind to stop by today! Have a fantastic Friday!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Nice updates, Betsy. It was in need of one for sure. :)

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you, Kim! It was long overdue for an update! I don't know why I waited so long! Many thanks for stopping by!