Sunday, February 23, 2014

Verdigris Painting For Concrete and Metal Statues


Thoughts of Spring make me want to spend time in the garden. I love to "spiffy up" before Spring arrives and that includes painting my statues, birdbaths and sundial.
I have way too much "yard art", but I love it. Some is metal and some concrete. It's peeling and rusting, so it's time to paint.  
I'll spare you the photos of all the steps and just write how I achieved this finish.
First, I wired brushed the items, both concrete and metal, to remove any flaking paint. After wiping them down, I spray painted them with Rustoleum Seaside Gloss indoor/outdoor paint with primer. In years past I brushed these, but I couldn't find this color or a similar one in a can. I let them dry completely. Then, I added Rustoleum black paint with a chip brush and wiped it off with a paper towel until I achieved the verdigris finish I liked. After this paint dried, I top coated each piece with a spray acrylic paint. Be sure to paint the bottom of the object too.
It's personal preference as to how much blue/green you want to show though the the black. You can always go back and add more black, if desired.
Not bad for twenty year old items.
Thank you for stopping by! 
I'm dreaming of Spring in this 70 degree weather! 

15 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Oh- You are so smart. I have done this in reverse with the black base and then wiping on the green-but this looks MUCH better the way you did it. I still love Verdi green and I am going to do a few pieces this Spring when I can get outside using your technique. Thanks- xo Diana

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Your pieces look great, Betsy! You'd never know they are 20 years old, but it sounds like you take care of them with yearly maintenance. I'd actually like to get a statue or two for our small bedding areas here around the condo. I left my favorite statues at our old house when we moved.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Wow..what a great idea Betsy...You have such wonderful garden decor...and I love garden decor...and you also have the most wonderful gardens throughout your property...I hope you will showcase them again this Spring...Great job Betsy!

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you! You are the most thoughtful friends! You always make my day with your kind comments! Have a fabulous week! :)

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Your garden art looks wonderful, Betsy. The verdegris finish looks very authentic.

Dana Bishop said...

Betsy this is wonderful! I am really impressed with this technique and your skill. I'm not paint savvy. Could you please tell me what a chip brush is? It's hard to believe some of the pieces are 20 years old! I'm always amazed by your restorations.

Hugs~

Cynthia said...

These came out fantastic Betsy. I had concrete birdbaths at the old house but the hubby sold them. Should've put up a harder fight. It took me forever to get them aged to perfection.

Cynthia

Gina said...

They look great, Betsy! You've made them look like new!

Lynn A. said...

I just happen to have 3 bird baths that desperately need a makeover. Your ideas are great Love the colors

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you for your kind comments today; they are appreciated! Dana, A chip brush is an inexpensive natural bristle brush. They come in various sizes, 1", 2" 3", etc. If you look in the third photo you can see one on top of my black can of paint.
Thank you, Lynn! I have used this technique for years and it has lasted very well.

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

Wow! They look new now. 70 degrees sounds like perfect weather. It's snowing here today.

thistlewoodfarm said...

Betsy,

They look so pretty! Love the new look and it makes such a difference. :)

Happy day to you friend!
karianne

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you, KariAnne! I'm trying to beat the pollen by painting early! Thanks for your kind comment and time in stopping by!

Dee Lapin said...

What's your next project Betsy?

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

I have a big one in Rome! You won't believe it! What a mess!