Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Christmas In The Family Room

Welcome to Christmas in The Family Room. I'm a southern girl that loves traditions! My Mother always decorated for Christmas in themes, red velvet, turquoise, gold angels and patchwork ornaments with the Calico Cat and Gingham Dog, just to name a few! 
This year I chose Nutcrackers. Can't you just hear the Nutcracker ballet music playing? 
I have a lighted garland on the bottom with a berry, pine and cypress garland woven into it. I added gold picks with greenery and pinecones along the front and topped it with ornaments. The mantel is wide, so it takes multiple garlands to fill it. 
This was the inspiration to hang ornaments on the front of the mantel. I thought he was cute. 


Christopher Radko captured my heart with his ornaments years ago. These are finales and ornaments from his Circus collection. 
A skinny tree with more Radko ornaments, gold branches, etc.
"The Monster", our nickname for this antique cabinet library, takes up quite a lot of room; therefore, the need for the skinny tree! This piece was appraised on The Antique's Roadshow in 1997. To date it is still the largest in size, not value, item ever appraised on the Roadshow. Currently, they air the appraisal on the Big-Small Antiques Roadshow. We had no idea this would be our five minutes of fame! :) We just wanted to learn more about this piece.



A view looking up - 

Thank you for touring the Christmas Family Room! 
This was my Mother's nativity, that was always in a place of honor at Christmas. I smile every time I put this out because the box shows she paid $19 for it in 1960. It has a music box too.
 To me, it's the most important reason for the season, the birth of our Lord!
May your Christmas season be filled with many wonderful blessings!

Linking to:
Savvy Southern Style
 Home Goods

16 comments:

Dana Bishop said...

Betsy I love it all! But the nativity steals my heart. How sweet that you still have your mom's. 1960! I would have been 5. Remember when Christmas felt so magical?

Your mantle is gorgeous and because I love traditional Christmas decor I think the nutcrackers are perfect. Skinny trees are my choice always. They remind me of lodge pole pines in Yellowstone :)

Thanks for the tour of your lovely family room!

Hugs~

Elizabeth @ Southern Color said...

Looks great!! I love all the nutcrackers :) I am slowly starting to collect them, I just love how they look for the holidays!

Dee @ A Lapin Life said...

I love all your nutcrackers and all the Radko ornaments. You have a wonderful collection Betsy.

The antique cabinet is gorgeous! The carvings are amazing on it.

My mom has a nativity that looks like yours. I don't remember it having a music box. That makes yours extra special.

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you so much! This is my first year using nutcrackers. I think they will become a staple in my Christmas decorating. Many thanks for stopping by today! Happy Holidays!

Vicki Daugherty said...

Oh my word, your antique cabinet is ginormous! How did you ever get that to the site of a Roadshow appraisal? You surely paid people to move it there, right? You must have 12' or higher ceilings, ours are in our 1890's home. I get claustrophobic in 8' ceilings now! Lovely mantel and room. Thanks for sharing, Vicki in Louisville KY

Tamyra Positively Southern said...

Gorgeous mantel, you've done a great job with the Christmas decor in the family room. The antique library piece gives me furniture envy!

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you, Vicki and Tamyra. The Antiques Roadshow moved the furniture. They issued an insurance policy, moved it in an air conditioned truck and loaded it with white gloves on. I just smiled because I stand on it to dust it!They were wonderful and treated it so well. They scheduled our appointment to tape and then appraised anything else we took. It was a great experience. Many thanks for your kindness!

Scribbler said...

Your family room is beautiful, and humongous cabinet blows me away.

Cynthia said...

Betsy you did another fantastic job. The family room is beautiful in its Nutcracker theme. I collect many Radko ornaments and Old World ornaments. I also have some Mercury glass too. Love what you have done with the fireplace, it is so classy and classic at the same time.

Cynthia

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you, Scribbler and Cynthia! The cabinet library is huge. I love Mercury glass too and think it is such a nice compliment to other old world ornaments. Many thanks for your kind comments! Happy Holidays!

Charm Bracelet Diva {at Home} said...

Love that view "looking up" :) I also have the Nativity from my parents and I incorporate parts of it with my family's Nativity each year. So special!

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you, Kathleen! Don't you just love incorporating family pieces form your childhood into your home?You're right, it's "so special"! Merry Christmas!

Jenna LaFevor said...

Gorgeous home! I love your bannister with all the garland!

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you, Jenna! I appreciate your kind comment and time in stopping by today! Merry Christmas!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

First of all…I am just noticing your header and is that a pic of your home in the header?…magnificent!!!!
Your home and the room are beautiful!..You are so fortunate to have your mother's treasured items…the nativity set is wonderful and how great is it to have the original price tag on it…the antique cabinet library is magnificent…must have been so exciting to have it appraised by the Antique Roadshow. We are kindred spirits as we both love the same things such as the beautiful Radko ornaments…love, love the tree!!!

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

Thank you, Shirley! I saw your gorgeous Radkos on your home tour yesterday! You have a beautiful home! I just have to smile at the price on the nativity. I love having family pieces around the house and I know you do also! That is our home in the header. It's not coastal, but has to do for the time. Many thanks for your kind comments!